983 - Stone Temple Pilots 'Core' (1992)

My Rating: 3.42 out of 5
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: X
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums: X
The Mojo Collection: X

Chart Peak (UK/US): 27/3

Favourite Tracks: Sex Type Thing, Piece Of Pie, Plush
Least-Favourite Tracks: Where The River Goes

I wasn't looking forward to listening to this album; I'd never heard the band, I know nothing about grunge, all the reviews I'd read slagged the record AND I was nursing a hangover from hell. So I put this on expecting a relentless guitar thrash that would send my whisky headache off the scale but found myself pleasantly surprised - yes, there's no denying that it's heavy rock but it's also hook-laden, accessible and well, kind of tuneful. Like most others, Allmusic's review is not complimentary, branding the band as 'fifth rate Pearl Jam copyists' & the album as 'gormless post-grunge sludge' - as I said, I don't know anything about the grunge scene so I can only judge this record on its own merits & to me it sounds pretty good. Big bad drums & monster guitar riffs dominate but just when things start getting predictable, we get a melodic middle-8 or a twisted guitar break. Add in a vocalist with a rich gravelly timbre who can shift seamlessly to a powerful growl and some solid production values and you have a pretty decent album. Shame that they chose such a stupid band name though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment